Thursday, October 18, 2018

Taiwan Travel Tips

Last April, I had my first (DIY) solo international trip. Luckily, Taiwan did not fail me.
In this blog, I will share with you some tips based from my personal experience during my adventure. :)


1. Money Changers
  • If you are arriving on a weekend, better change your cash to NT$ at the airport. Money changers in Taipei are not as robust as what we have in other Asian countries. It is more controlled in Taiwan. They only have money changer in the banks which are closed on weekends, and some authorized counters in the mall, but very limited. You can withdraw in ATM though with a certain fee
2. Transportation System 
  • Their transportation is comparable to that of Hong Kong. It is tourist-friendly and simple to follow. Make sure you install any Taiwan MRT guide in your phone - you can check google play or apple store for free applications. This has helped me a lot during my trip.
  • Update your Google Maps! This is my lifeline! Hahaha! I rode bus more than MRT because I find buses more convenient. Well, except for rush hour. But honestly, traffic jam in Taipei is not as bad as what we have in Manila. Thorugh Google map, you will know what bus to ride and the number of stops to get to your destination.
  • Their bus stops are efficient. They have estimated time of arrival of the buses & it is accurate!
3. Stay Connected
  • There are free wi-fi on most of the public areas in Taipei. However, there's no guarantee that all the places you will visit has wi-fi. Hence, it's better to get your own sim card with mobile data or rent a pocket wi-fi. I always allocate a budget for internet connection whenever I travel abroad. I use this to update my family on my whereabouts. Hahaha! Also, if you are using google map, you need internet connection. 
  • Get the contact number of your hostel, just in case there is an emergency. 
  • Always bring your power bank. Whether you are still 100% full-charged , always bring your power bank. You'll never know if you get stuck on a place or your battery suddenly acts up and drains fast. 
4. Shopping
  • Among the night markets that I've visited, the one in Keelung is the cheapest! But, this is outside Taipei. I was able to compare the prices of their tea vs the ones in Ximending or even in Shilin, Keelung is way cheaper and there are more varieties too.
  • If you don't have time to go outside of Taipei City, Shilin Night Market offers cheaper clothes compared to Ximending. 
  • Branded Shoes! When I've converted the price from NT$ to PHP, it is cheaper compared to Philippines. Plus you have a tourist tax discount!
  • Anello Bags! Yes, Anello Bags in Taipei is cheaper than in Philippines. Plus, you get a tourist tax! 
  • Check out their cosmetics store like COSMED & Watsons - there are items which are cheaper compared to Philippines like sunscreen, hand lotion, make up brush, etc.
  • For girls - if you have frizzy or damaged hair, get yourself a hair treatment which I discovered on Youtube. It's name is OPAL! It's cheap and very effective! I brought 2 tubes! I'm using the last tube until now (April to Oct? Not bad!).
5. Tea Shopping
  • 7-11 - they have a lot of milk tea in different flavor and sizes which are very affordable! In fact, cheaper than water. Lol! 
  • Night Markets - there are so many shops that sell tea - may it be in tea bags, in blocks or in sachets. They also offer free tastes. :) I bought 2 bags of 3 o'clock Milk Tea in Hokkaido and Rose flavor. Both are delicious!
  • Bubble Milk Tea - well, you can find bubble milk tea stalls in every corner of Taipei. All the milk tea I tried tasted so good and very authentic! I can't describe the authentic part, but yeah - I know you understand what I'm trying to say. Lol!
6. KLOOK or KKDAY
  • I am not paid by KLOOK or KKDAY, but I find their tour packages really convenient. I availed the Jiufen, Shifen & Keelung Night Market Shuttle Bus from Klook. I got it for only Php 1030 inclusive of round-trip shuttle bus from Ximen, toll fees and insurance. I also bought my Taipei 101 Observatory ticket from Klook which I got for only Php 878, regular price is NT$ 600 (Php 1046~).
  • If you want a DIY trip but hassle-free, I suggest you check out tour packages from Klook or Kkday.
I hope you find my tips helpful. If you have any question, feel free to comment. Enjoy Taipei, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment